Monday, February 14, 2011

On The State of Movies

I haven't been here in a while. Actually, in almost a year. The real problem is that I lost interest in many of the movies that were being released. It seemed that out of the many movies I'd go and watch each year, only one or two of them truly made me happy. All of the rest were either just flat out bad, or weren't worth discussing.

That still holds true for me today. I think most movies today are just not very good. The ones coming out in the future don't look too hot, either. I don't know why this is. It just seems like the overall talent pool in Hollywood has sunk to an all time low.

Perhaps it's the lack of truly imaginative storytellers working in film today. It is so rare to get a movie that entertains and inspires, making you so happy that you saw the movie. Most movies are best described as "forgettable". It's such a shame.

I think one reason for the downfall of the movie is the final maturation of television. I've discussed in a previous article how television seems to be at least rivaling movies lately, and I think that trend continues. There have been and still are some truly remarkable dramas on tv. "Battlestar Galactica", "Mad Men", "Justified", and "Sons of Anarchy" have all been terrific television shows, not to mention some good comedies like "The Office" and "30 Rock".

This has made me re-think what I was doing in the past with "RB On Movies". I think I'm going to change directions a bit and begin talking more about movies and tv that are on DVD. There's so many interesting things that I missed in theaters over the years, with many more that were made before I was born. I would much rather discuss those in my articles than the dreck that is in theaters.

That doesn't mean I'll never talk about movies that I go see in theaters or ever talk about anything contemporary. It just means that modern movies won't be the majority of articles I write from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment